Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justin

**NEW** ATV 582 11/05 FIRMWARE FILE **FEEDBACK THREAD**

just want to say when I got my 582 I wasn't impressed, but after the firmware upgrade and the 2 patch file upgrades I couldn't be happier. Fine job guys!

Hey, Justin! Any good news?

Do I need to ship my ATV380 for service?

I got it back in August. Thanks!

Sorry I read through both our posts, but did I promise some good news?

Please elaborate more on this.

I can't flash 0718 or anything after it.

I can't flash anything that needs the ATV380 to boot into recovery (like the last 2 patches after 1105).

The complete flash package you suggested it's not working.

What do I do next? How can we fix this problem?

Thanks

I can't flash 0718 or anything after it.

I can't flash anything that needs the ATV380 to boot into recovery (like the last 2 patches after 1105).

The complete flash package you suggested it's not working.

What do I do next? How can we fix this problem?

Thanks

Try this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... boot&hl=en

See if you can boot into recovery with it.

You made the mistake of installing firmware from June, which is the reason why you are having all of these issues, since you cannot go backwards on those firmwares, as there are major differences in the Kernel and Uboot versions between the 2.

The Canada Computers guys say the ATV582 and ATV380 are identical. I've seen the same statement here on the forum a few times.

When I tried to download a firmware update for the ATV380 the update file name was for ATV582. There is no subforum here dedicated to ATV380.

All ATV582 I bought did not boot and I always had to start with the 0608 firmware (see my 1st posts here on the forum, I have even sent you serial numbers, remember?).

You mentioned before what I did was a mistake but I had no way of knowing the same procedure that brought back to life all 582s I got my hands on, will damage the ATV380. I am only trying to find a way to fix it and I might not be the only one with this problem.

After 0724, all OTAs worked fine until the 1105 manual update that made my 2 ATV380 unbootable. Or maybe the 2 patches, I can't remember exactly how it happened. I tried then to re-vive the 380s the only way I knew as the 2 I have would not boot any other update.

I tried the app but I only get a black screen and the device hangs and I have to remove the power cord to start it again.

All updates including 0724 and after do not boot in recovery anymore.

In the end, how different are the 582 and the 380? I have a lot of friends that have the 380 and a lot that have the 582.

Thanks for all your help, Justin! I hope we'll find a way to fix it.

The Canada Computers guys say the ATV582 and ATV380 are identical. I've seen the same statement here on the forum a few times.

When I tried to download a firmware update for the ATV380 the update file name was for ATV582. There is no subforum here dedicated to ATV380.

All ATV582 I bought did not boot and I always had to start with the 0608 firmware (see my 1st posts here on the forum, I have even sent you serial numbers, remember?).

You mentioned before what I did was a mistake but I had no way of knowing the same procedure that brought back to life all 582s I got my hands on, will damage the ATV380. I am only trying to find a way to fix it and I might not be the only one with this problem.

After 0724, all OTAs worked fine until the 1105 manual update that made my 2 ATV380 unbootable. Or maybe the 2 patches, I can't remember exactly how it happened. I tried then to re-vive the 380s the only way I knew as the 2 I have would not boot any other update.

I tried the app but I only get a black screen and the device hangs and I have to remove the power cord to start it again.

All updates including 0724 and after do not boot in recovery anymore.

In the end, how different are the 582 and the 380? I have a lot of friends that have the 380 and a lot that have the 582.

Thanks for all your help, Justin! I hope we'll find a way to fix it.

The 380 basically has 2 differences over the 582

1. Different Casing

2. Uses Regular SD card, not Micro.

The 582 and 380 both share the same firmware. I will change the 582 forum to say 380/582 to make this more clear for people.

As I said before, going back to the june firmware wasnt good. Now since you cannot load anything made after this and no recovery screen, you will have to just get the unit exchanged.

All ATV 380s sold at Canada Computers would have come with the 07-24 Firmware or later, nothing before this date. So next time, make sure to only load firmware made after 07-24.

HI - I recently did a few things to my 582.

1) Upgraded to the firmware 11/05

2) Flashed the two patches that were posted here.

3) I also installed Kodi stable (14.0).

For my flashes I used the upgrade app as opposed to going directly to recovery.

I find now when I go to my 'home page' so the OOTB launcher, it sometimes takes a while to fill in the icons (I see plus signs for a few seconds - then the icons).

Anyone seeing anything similar? Is there a better flash instruction?

Thanks again, Justin!

Can you please give me some more details how do I get it replaced? What do I need to do?

Canada Computers is doing the full 1 year warranty for the ATV 380. Just bring it to them with your receipt and they will exchange it.

HI - I recently did a few things to my 582.

1) Upgraded to the firmware 11/05

2) Flashed the two patches that were posted here.

3) I also installed Kodi stable (14.0).

For my flashes I used the upgrade app as opposed to going directly to recovery.

I find now when I go to my 'home page' so the OOTB launcher, it sometimes takes a while to fill in the icons (I see plus signs for a few seconds - then the icons).

Anyone seeing anything similar? Is there a better flash instruction?

The icons loading on the launcher is normal for now. We are working to make it load quicker.

Hello, I just bought my ATV 582 a couple of days ago. I've never owned an Android box before, so I'm still in the process of learning how to use the device. This forum and the Youtube videos on how-to's really help.

I've been reading the different discussions, particularly the firmware feedback thread since I was thinking of upgrading the firmware. I read in a different thread that the firmware update helps solve the problem with one of the USB ports not working. But after reading the posts in the feedback thread, I've noticed a lot of the users who have done the update experienced lots of issues, some similar and some different. Now I am wondering, should I update my firmware now? Or should I wait 'til the new update? I'm not tech savvy, and I'm worried that I might mess it up. I would really appreciate anybody's honest opinion and advice.. thanks guys!

Hello, I just bought my ATV 582 a couple of days ago. I've never owned an Android box before, so I'm still in the process of learning how to use the device. This forum and the Youtube videos on how-to's really help.

I've been reading the different discussions, particularly the firmware feedback thread since I was thinking of upgrading the firmware. I read in a different thread that the firmware update helps solve the problem with one of the USB ports not working. But after reading the posts in the feedback thread, I've noticed a lot of the users who have done the update experienced lots of issues, some similar and some different. Now I am wondering, should I update my firmware now? Or should I wait 'til the new update? I'm not tech savvy, and I'm worried that I might mess it up. I would really appreciate anybody's honest opinion and advice.. thanks guys!

If you want to take future updates, you will have to take the 11-05 update first.

I plan to release new firmware with added features, and kodi, and bug fixes by the end of this month.

Hi Justin,

Good news, except Canada Computers is out-of-stock since December for all quad core MyGicas.

Thanks again!

They should have 582's back in stock this week, if not next for sure.

1800E's they will start carrying in Feb as well.

The reason i'm saying an SD card is mandatory is specifically because i had an OTA upgrade fail when i had no SD card installed. Without an SD card, the upgrade process will use RAM (as you've stated) to upgrade, and if your box happens to be using a high amount of RAM at the time (for whatever reason) your OTA upgrade WILL FAIL. I actually wasn't running anything when my upgrade failed, so i'm not sure why i was even low on RAM? The way to avoid this is to install an SD card, and use the SD card for downloading and storing updates. To me, if the OTA upgrade process fails once while using RAM, then that's too many times. And it failed horribly (requiring a reflash). The only way to guarantee you won't hit this same problem in the future (ie. low memory) is to install an SD card. That's why i'm saying, why doesn't MyGica just include a 4GB card with every unit? It's cheap, and avoids this problem.

Loaded this firmware hoping for improved 4k performance / support.

Unfortunately none of the 4k output modes work with my Samsung UN55HU7250 which supports 120hz which I assume is SMPTE mode

1080p 60HZ blacks out

Performance on this build is smoother I will say and XBMC streams better.

The reason i'm saying an SD card is mandatory is specifically because i had an OTA upgrade fail when i had no SD card installed. Without an SD card, the upgrade process will use RAM (as you've stated) to upgrade, and if your box happens to be using a high amount of RAM at the time (for whatever reason) your OTA upgrade WILL FAIL. I actually wasn't running anything when my upgrade failed, so i'm not sure why i was even low on RAM? The way to avoid this is to install an SD card, and use the SD card for downloading and storing updates. To me, if the OTA upgrade process fails once while using RAM, then that's too many times. And it failed horribly (requiring a reflash). The only way to guarantee you won't hit this same problem in the future (ie. low memory) is to install an SD card. That's why i'm saying, why doesn't MyGica just include a 4GB card with every unit? It's cheap, and avoids this problem.

We are working on a new method that wont require the SD card or a lot of RAM to do OTA uppdates.

If you want to do OTA updates without the need of an SD card based on the current method. Here is a trick for this.

1. Use the Quick Boot app to get into recovery mode.

2. Once in recovery mode, click on CLEAR CACHE.

3. Once done, now reboot the box. You should have no issues taking the OTA update now.

Loaded this firmware hoping for improved 4k performance / support.

Unfortunately none of the 4k output modes work with my Samsung UN55HU7250 which supports 120hz which I assume is SMPTE mode

1080p 60HZ blacks out

Performance on this build is smoother I will say and XBMC streams better.

4K Support for Samsung TVs is something that will be fixed. We are aware of this issue.

It is something that is being fixed by AMLogic.

Hello again Justin,

I had no time to have the ATV380 changed but in the meantime, a buddy of mine who just bought the ATV380 has some problems, too.

His 380 came with the 0718 firmware so he downloaded the 1105 from the website (the manual update) and copied all files on the SD and booted the 380 with the button pressed and the SD card in.

It went through the update process and at the end it rebooted. It tried loading the OS but it froze on the MyGica logo on the white background.

Waited a while, unplugged the power and connected it back. This time it froze again even earlier than the previous time, when the logo squares animate to come together. This happened a few times.

He took another SD card, downloaded again the files (1105 manual), recreated the update and tried again. This time the 380 froze about 15% progress with the robot logo, during the firmware update.

It doesn't boot anymore and it doesn't enter recovery.

The firmware upgrade process is freezing in the same spot every time no mater which of the 2 SD cards he's using.

What's wrong this time? His 380 (with the original 0718) was able to boot once but it didn't take any upgrade. Was it defective? I don't think so.

What was wrong in his update process? Speaking from my experience, I told him not to touch any old firmwares if there are still on the MyGica

website and he didn't.

Through the 380 grill, I see on the PCB a label with S802B written on it. My 380 has on that says S802.

Are the 2 so different that the current firmware would not work?

I want to get my 380 changed this weekend and I'm reluctant in getting another 380. On the other side if I would get another one and the upgrade process would work, this would prove his was just defective?

I had no issues whatsoever with the 582s, why is it so complicated with the 380s?

Can you please help advise me?

Thanks!

Hi Justin

So I read through this thread and I would like to know whether or not to install the second patch (blank screen)? The update and the first patch installed beautifully.

Thx for this. Interlacing issue seems resolved. :)

Only install it if you are experiencing the problems listed in it.

Otherwise its not necessary

Hello again Justin,

I had no time to have the ATV380 changed but in the meantime, a buddy of mine who just bought the ATV380 has some problems, too.

His 380 came with the 0718 firmware so he downloaded the 1105 from the website (the manual update) and copied all files on the SD and booted the 380 with the button pressed and the SD card in.

It went through the update process and at the end it rebooted. It tried loading the OS but it froze on the MyGica logo on the white background.

Waited a while, unplugged the power and connected it back. This time it froze again even earlier than the previous time, when the logo squares animate to come together. This happened a few times.

He took another SD card, downloaded again the files (1105 manual), recreated the update and tried again. This time the 380 froze about 15% progress with the robot logo, during the firmware update.

It doesn't boot anymore and it doesn't enter recovery.

The firmware upgrade process is freezing in the same spot every time no mater which of the 2 SD cards he's using.

What's wrong this time? His 380 (with the original 0718) was able to boot once but it didn't take any upgrade. Was it defective? I don't think so.

What was wrong in his update process? Speaking from my experience, I told him not to touch any old firmwares if there are still on the MyGica

website and he didn't.

Through the 380 grill, I see on the PCB a label with S802B written on it. My 380 has on that says S802.

Are the 2 so different that the current firmware would not work?

I want to get my 380 changed this weekend and I'm reluctant in getting another 380. On the other side if I would get another one and the upgrade process would work, this would prove his was just defective?

I had no issues whatsoever with the 582s, why is it so complicated with the 380s?

Can you please help advise me?

Thanks!

The ATV 380 does not require you to press the reset button in order to take the update. It is just simply using the "Upgrade App" and an SD Card or USB device to load the files.

You sure he did not use the ATV 1800E method? Since this requires use of the reset button. If he did, this might be the reason why it does not work. If he didnt, then it could be other issues, such as a defective unit, or the file might have become corrupted during being loaded.

S802 and S802B are both the same chipset, just S802B supports Dolby Digital Plus and S802 does not. They can both use the same firmware.

ATV 380 and 582 are both the same unit, just use a different case basically. So there should be no difference in loading firmware to it.

Hi I have just got an ATV582 and from the first time I started it my screen randomly blacks out for a few seconds and then comes back. This happens no mater what I am doing, xbmc, netflix, browser etc. I have applied the latest firmware and patches as discussed on these threads and it has not made a difference.

On 17 Dec 2014, on this thread, Justin noted that this is a known issue but I have not read anywhere that the cause of this has been determined and if there is a solution. Please advise.

Hi I have just got an ATV582 and from the first time I started it my screen randomly blacks out for a few seconds and then comes back. This happens no mater what I am doing, xbmc, netflix, browser etc. I have applied the latest firmware and patches as discussed on these threads and it has not made a difference.

On 17 Dec 2014, on this thread, Justin noted that this is a known issue but I have not read anywhere that the cause of this has been determined and if there is a solution. Please advise.

This seems to happen randomly.

It has been fixed and will be included in our next firmware update.

Which I am pushing to get released this week.

Got some new stuff last night, just trying it out today, along with our testers.