Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justin

**NEW** ATV 582 07/24 Firmware File Upgrade **FEEDBACK**

@kicsrules I recommend updating as there has been a lot of effort made on the development so far and my result is pretty decent at this stage.

I use my box for more than TV and I can say that the kernel has been optimized and the box is running pretty good. Its a lot more responsive when use processing power. We need to relay our findings in order to make the product better.

@saddie I changed the download location to the SD card instead of internal cache, it worked good for me as I believe I had a corrupt download earlier and I wanted to be sure that I have a completed fw file.I went via the normal upgrade path with the upgrade app and applied the update with success.

Follow Justin's guidelines carefully and you should get the desired result.

@ Justin, my Mygica XBMC just shows a black randomly when I launch it, also when I attempt to exit Mygica XBMC it refuses to close the application. I uninstalled it as it was just not doing well. The normal XBMC works for me now and I switched HDMI auto resolution off and "hard configured" the HDMI 1080P 60 HZ option.

@Dlangejc : Thanks for the info, I will look into doing that.

@Justin: I did follow the three step FW upgrades. I believe that I was successful in updating the first and then the second set, but now this third (07/23) doesn't seem to be completely taking... at least my uBoot ver doesn't seem to be. My actual build number is 07/23 though as I noted above. Should I downgrade to the first release again, and try to geth through the next two FWs after that again? Basically should I try to repeat the process again?

Thanks guys

UPDATE:

Okay, I can now reliably boot the system recovery partition, and am now sitting on the Android system recovery menu version 001M801_2014 05 29

I have wiped the cache partition. I have the SD card with the 14 "first" FW files in the root directory. Shall I tell it to apply update from EXT? This is identical to what I did the first time around..

UPDATE:

Okay, I can now reliably boot the system recovery partition, and am now sitting on the Android system recovery menu version 001M801_2014 05 29

I have wiped the cache partition. I have the SD card with the 14 "first" FW files in the root directory. Shall I tell it to apply update from EXT? This is identical to what I did the first time around..

You can load each file through the recovery screen, I do this myself as I find it much easier.

However I would suggest to select Reboot System now after each file load to let everything install, and then repeat the recovery screen process again.

Once you get to the 07/24 files, make sure you load the new Uboot file first, do a reboot, then go into recovery again, and load the 07/24 firmware file.

Once again, sorry that you have to go through a lot to get to the latest version of files we have available, but if you read across our forums, you can see all the work we have done to get to this point.

No problem, I know that this/these boxes are bleeding edge, and like I said, I had a great experience with the atv520. I just want to be clear on my next steps:

I am in recovery right now. I should select the Uboot file to update it.

Then I should reboot into recovery again, and select the large Mygica BIN file.

This will conclude the second set of FW files.

Then I will download the 07/23 files, aka the third set

And I will do the same with them, booting manually into recovery for each file. Or would you rather I upgrade through the Android app?

Thanks

Saddie

guys, anyway that i can download the img to update the box ??

im currently in this state, dont know what i clicked on

1Xd6MaE.jpg

if i reboot the machine, goes directly to this screen... i think its waiting for the sd card with the update file

That's the android recovery menu. On another computer, download the firmware file, extract it and put it on the root of an SD card, then put it into the box and select 'update from EXT'. In theory that'll work.

Hello again everyone. So I have completed the following steps, and my box is still crashing. Please keep in mind that I am a technical kind of person, I've read these entire 582 forums here, and I've done this all before on an atv520, yet I just can't seem to get this atv582 upgraded to the latest FW. I might be stuck waiting for a Finless ROM, because this is awful. Okay, here we go..

I downloaded the 1st FW files (there was 14), which I extracted and put onto a 2GB SD card. I updated the machine manually using the text menu above.

I have downloaded the 2nd FW file, extracted it and put on SD card. I cannot boot into the recovery menu. I can boot normally, I select a launcher out of the three options, and my box immediately shuts off, black screen. So I can't seem to even use the Update android app. I am on the first FW file, trying to get to the second step, so I can get to the third. Any options?

Thanks

Only the 1st firmware needs recovery mode, make sure all files from 1st firmware are on the microsd card and nothing else. After flashing you need to launch the launcher and it will do the installation. Once the 1st is done, you can flash the 2nd one using the upgrade option without any recovery mode. If you can't upgrade to the 2nd one, try redo the 1st firmware again in recovery mode.

@pavloh: yes you can. In fact, my box seems to only boot into recovery when the SD card isn't inserted. I get to the text menu, then pop it in. Great.

@Justin and anyone else: I have now followed the update instructions to a T, except I used only manual recovery menu. I updated the first FW manually, Then I rebooted and did the second FW file, again manually. Then for the third (07/23) FW files, I did the Uboot file first, rebooted, did the Mygica file next. Once again, here are my build numbers, unchanged from the first time around:

Uboot ver 20140521.163417

Kernel Version 3.10.33

Build number V0001M801_20140723

I have two separate questions for anyone out there who can answer me:

1 - is my Uboot version number up to date?

2 - is my build number up to date?

Thanks

@pavioh, you should have all the files for the first firmware on the micro sd card, plug it in. Flip over mygica, use a pin and push it down and then plug in your power. Count up to ten seconds and let go your pin, your screen should go blank and then the process should start.

I only had to do it once and it flashes the 1st firmware.

@fuzzimaster - thank you! Can you tell me if my Uboot version is up to date too? That's the one that I don't think is, even though I definitely updated it before I updated the FW to the 07/23 version.

UPDATE: No, by Uboot version was not up to date, despite having updated "successfully" manually before going to the 7/23 build. I have now just used the Update app and pointed it to the new Uboot file, and for some reason that took. So now my numbers look like:

Uboot ver 20140718.155435

Kernel Version 3.10.33

Build number V0001M801_20140723

So that is what the 07/23 FW looks like FYI everyone. If anyone wants the steps it took me to get here let me know and I'll type them up, because the standard instructions here absolutely did not work for me - I had random reboots, sudden black screens etc.

My next question then is should I try for an automatic update via Mygica's servers? Is there a new FW out? And if so, what are the build numbers and where is the changelog/physical files?

This has the potential to be a great box!

Thanks guys

@Saddle : Your uboot is also the right one for . Just look at this file name date > update_Mygica_ATV582_20140723.img and update_uboot_stvm8_20140718.img. Uboot is the 18th of July and firmware update is 23th of July.

My current firmware OTA is the following attachment >

IMG_0320.JPG.3ebee41c0aa619c80217d1dce1fba68a.JPG

@fuzzimaster - Thanks so much. It makes life easier having this kind of information. I just did the OTA update, which went smoothly it would seem. Now my numbers look the same as yours:

Uboot ver 20140718

Kernel Version 3.10.33

Build number V0001M801_20140801

Has this build been stable for you? I am hesitant to start customizing the install with maybe having to wipe again soon.

As an aside - XBMC apparently just changed their name. Our remotes need updating? :-Phttp://xbmc.org/tag/kodi/

worked out the update, had to reapply the 7/24 update (while in recovery) then OTA.... worked well, but in xbmc i still cant change resolution...

@kasmca - when I was doing the OTA update, first I changed the download location from 'cache' to 'external SD', then I did the update and didn't have a problem. I had a 2GB external SD card in the side the whole time. Will look and see if the update.zip file is on it later and try and post it somewhere.

Like I said before download to SD card, not cache. Seems to be corrupt if on the internal NAND. Glad you are sorted!

Justin, please ask the developer folks to remove the MBOX screen saver?

Hi guys something went wrong with my OTA update my device can't boot and comes up with a system recovery screen but the remote doesn't work so I can't even apply an update from the card. Can I use Odin or something to connect to the box? Any suggestions?

Many Thanks