Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justin

**NEW** ATV 582 07/24 Firmware File Upgrade **FEEDBACK**

Has anyone found that DLNA only works via ethernet and NOT over WiFi.

Fix this please.

Like who uses ethernet anymore? :P

Well anyone who wants a solid connection to their box and can stream HD without any problems at all.

Yes Ethernet is always a great option over Wifi for Video Streaming, but majority of end users do not have this option as there units are generally not near there Router, so therefore Wifi must be used, which still works great as well, if you have a decent router in your house.

Re: **NEW** ATV 582 07/24 Firmware File Upgrade **FEEDBACK**

Postby saddie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:50 am

UPDATE: No, by Uboot version was not up to date, despite having updated "successfully" manually before going to the 7/23 build. I have now just used the Update app and pointed it to the new Uboot file, and for some reason that took. So now my numbers look like:

Uboot ver 20140718.155435

Kernel Version 3.10.33

Build number V0001M801_20140723

So that is what the 07/23 FW looks like FYI everyone. If anyone wants the steps it took me to get here let me know and I'll type them up, because the standard instructions here absolutely did not work for me - I had random reboots, sudden black screens etc.

My next question then is should I try for an automatic update via Mygica's servers? Is there a new FW out? And if so, what are the build numbers and where is the changelog/physical files?

This has the potential to be a great box!

Thanks guys

@saddie - Please let me know your exact steps as I am having the *exact* problem you were having up until this point. Very frustrating as following all instructions everywhere to the letter has left me at:

kernel 3.10.33 (20140529.164741)

build V001M801_20140614

uboot 20140521.163417

and no way to upgrade beyond this point.

Thanks for any help.

DV

@ DV

Hi DV. Sorry it took me a while to see this post. I've been away from these forums for a few months... so I see your version numbers you've posted, thank you. Here is what you must do, or this is at least what I had to do to get to the 07/24 firmware. Anyone else please chime in if I'm off base.

The steps below will get you to the 06/13 firmware. Then you must update to the 06/17 FW, then to the 07/24 FW. Then from there you should be able to do over the air OTA updates with no problems. SO, we're trying to get you to the 07/24 as the final goal for now.

1 - First you must upgrade to the 06/13 firmware (June 13th 2014 firmware). You can get these firmwares here:

http://mygica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1591**

STEPS I TOOK:

1 -Download the zip file, unzip it, put all the files on an SD card or a USB key.

2- WITHOUT the USB/SD card plugged in, boot machine into recovery mode (plug box it in while holding down the recovery button on bottom using a paperclip)

3- once box is booted into the text based recovery menu, NOW plug USB key with the FW files on it.

4- select 'wipe cache partition'

5- select 'apply update from ext'

6- browse to your USB files and select the uboot file - it will update.

7- the device should reboot. Unplug it from power source.

8- Repeat steps 2-6 above, ie boot machine back into recovery and plug in USB key again, BUT select the FW file there this time.

9- machine will update, and reboot.

10 - boot machine up into the new FW,

11 - post your results and your FW version numbers back here, and I'll help you from here, okay?

@saddie

Apologies for not responding sooner. Thanks for your step by step method and especially for taking the time to post it here. Others may also benefit from your method.

In my case, I opened a RMA ticket and, after spending about $18.00 on shipping, the unit is being replaced. I expect the replacement to arrive on Monday.

Thanks again,

DV

@DVscuba

No worries, hopefully it can help someone else too. Keep us posted about the RMA result! Once my box was updated to the 07/24 FW it has been rock solid so hang in there!

The RMA replacement ATV582 arrived yesterday. I connected it and discovered the following versions preloaded:

Uboot 3159fa2 (20140718.155435)

Kernel 3.10.33 (20140721.170108)

Build V001M801_20140801

I go to update OTA as I would expect to get to the September update this way and the server even reports a new version "V001M801_20140925" is available for download. Downloading of update.zip sits at 0% after many hours. Have tried rebooting the box and no change.

Yes, I have an Internet connection.

Is it safe to simply update to V002M801_20141105 manually with local update from the version on the unit I was shipped? What am I going to break by trying?

Thanks,

DV

Gave up on the OTA and followed saddie's steps to flash the 11/05 img file from SD card.

SUCCESS!!!!! :D

Many Thanks folks!

DV

Good to hear you got it going

Well, actually, it seems I have replied with positive results a bit too soon...

When the RMA replacement arrived and I connected it, I noticed it was extremely sluggish and not very responsive. I checked the software version(s) and saw the older (July/August 2014) numbers. I tried a factory reset first to see if that would help but it did not. OTA updates to September 2014 versions appear to be "unavailable" even though the upgrade process detects availability. So I decided to just go up to the November 2014 build. Other posts on this forum seem to indicate is it OK to do so. http://www.mygica.ca/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2253#p7107

So the issues I have noticed so far are as follows:

1 - The device does not recognize a long press on the remote. ie. Press and hold Power on the remote and a menu pop up should ask if you want Standby or Reboot. This device goes immediately into Standby. Scrolling through menu items by pressing and holding a directional key on the remote is not recognized by the box. I have to keep pressing and releasing the button on the remote to continually scroll through the items. Obviously this will cause premature wear on the remote control contacts and is likely what makes the box feel sluggish and non-responsive.

2 - The white line outline when setting up the screen size/position are gone now. I noticed the same behaviour when trying to get my first unit going before it was replaced under RMA. I have no explanation as to why this feature breaks.

There may be additional issues that I haven't discovered yet, but to be honest, using this replacement is not an enjoyable experience so I don't use it much at all. I watch TV in the other room now...

Checks I have made to ensure the issues are not with the remote:

1 - The remote operates my other ATV582 perfectly.

2 - Using the remote from my other ATV582 does not make any difference/improvement in regards to long pressing a button on the remote and expecting the appropriate results.

It is obvious to me that the RMA replacement device is not working nearly as well as the device I purchased more recently with the 11/05 firmware already preinstalled.

Paying for additional shipping to send the replacement back for another replacement doesn't seem appealing to me.

Justin - What is the fix for these problems?

**EDIT** Thanks for your email follow-up, Justin. Good to know the support from MyGiga is as good as it is. :)

DVScuba: thank you for that feed back, i am forwarding this to Justin and also to our Dev Team to see why the Box could possibly do that, but i am pretty sure its a Software issue and not hardware.

stay tuned cause we are working on new OS which will easy some tension on App loading and background apps that way this slaggish problem your having will be thing of a the past..

and thank you for kind words, this is how we can be better

DVScuba: thank you for that feed back, i am forwarding this to Justin and also to our Dev Team to see why the Box could possibly do that, but i am pretty sure its a Software issue and not hardware.

stay tuned cause we are working on new OS which will easy some tension on App loading and background apps that way this slaggish problem your having will be thing of a the past..

You just replied post from Feb13. I can assure you things are waaaay worse since then....

You just replied post from Feb13. I can assure you things are waaaay worse since then....

no answered your review of the RMA box, again i would suggest you create another Ticket with us

Did a Moderator just reply to a five month old thread that started in July 2014? :shock:

Did a Moderator just reply to a five month old thread that started in July 2014? :shock:

yes we did since it was asked again and again, it seems you missed all the repeat questions

stay tuned cause we are working on new OS which will easy some tension on App loading and background apps that way this slaggish problem your having will be thing of a the past...

yes we did since it was asked again and again, it seems you missed all the repeat questions

Been through the November update. Been through the March update. It's been almost a year. Seems like lots of questions... :D

I believe this new firmware upgrade is also for MyGica 1800E as well. My question is whether or not I can install Kodi 15.0 version?.

Thanks

I believe this new firmware upgrade is also for MyGica 1800E as well. My question is whether or not I can install Kodi 15.0 version?.

Thanks

Yes you can install KODI 15.1 From the Playstore, you just have to uninstall your previous version of KODI first.

Quick question - this is the 07/24 feedback thread - the OTA is 07.21 - what is the latest (1) stable and (2) beta available (if there is a beta past latest stable that is)?

Quick question - this is the 07/24 feedback thread - the OTA is 07.21 - what is the latest (1) stable and (2) beta available (if there is a beta past latest stable that is)?

07.21 is the latest firmware to use. Which is an OTA update.

We are just doing OTA updates now, unless any major changes.